Monday, March 2, 2009

Shanghai I hear you

After months of neglect I will no longer ignore my duties as an Asian American to talk about my cultural experiences and everyday mishaps, no matter how painful for me, and mostly for you!

I have lived in Shanghai for 6 months now, moved a total of 6 times, here's what I have learned:

Here are the top ten things I love about Shanghai:

10. Ayi- Lady who comes to your place to cook, clean, do laundry for 10 CNY/hour= $1.50 US
9. Sherpa's- Any kind of food delivery you can think of with one phone call, in addition to the fact that McDonald's, KFC, and Burger King, provide their own delivery service free of charge.
8. All in one beauty salons, not only do they provide haircuts, massages, & styling, but boob jobs too
7. Late night dining on the sidewalk is as normal as getting a newspaper in the morning
6. Fruit platters, popcorn, and dice are a common accompaniment at a nightclub. Not to mention that they hold on to any unfinished bottles of liquors for the next time you return
5. CITY DINER... the place all the drunk foreigners go after partying
4. Foot Massages, Back Massages, Oil Massages anytime, anywhere
3. Old Condom Dispenser Boxes on every street corner
2. Old people doing Tai Chi at 5am everywhere, even in the trees
1. Beggars on the street come out and just say "Hello Money"

Here are the top ten things I hate about Shanghai:

10. People throw their garbage out the window, while brushing their teeth and washing their hair, next to their laundry hanging on the sidewalk.
9. Everything is counterfeit or made like crap, and served without a smile
8. Nobody believes in waiting on line... ever! Pushing to get on the elevator even when noone else is around
7. Everything is negotiable, so everyone tries to rip you off
6. You repeat the address to the cab driver 5 times, and still wonder if you will ever get there
5. On constant alert when walking or crossing, even on the sidewalk. Can be hit by a bus, car, bike, or motorbike, from any direction...true story
4. You are bombarded by people asking if you want brand name bags, watches, wallets
3. Everyone's yelling at each other or into their cell phones constantly
2. Everything in China is slower
1. People spit, pee, and pick their nose every 2 seconds in their pajamas, and go to department stores in their Hello Kitty Slippers

6 comments:

  1. LOL! Also, you tell a cab driver an address, and no matter what is it, they ask you repeatedly if you're going to the nearest foreigner bar/restaurant/service apartments. Like, didn't I just say Huangpi Nan Lu 700 Hao? Go there!

    Did you move again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shanghai sounds a lot like NY! I don't think I'll be able to deal with all the pushing though... I think I'll get into plenty of shoving matches if I ever visited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. word!..*sigh..Shanghai..Can't hate it..can't pretend we weren't born there..haha..very factual post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also do not forget the golden rule that toilet paper does not exist in public bathrooms...BYOTPASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for these blogs. They are so vivid.

    ReplyDelete